1. What is Platelet rich plasma therapy( PRP)?
PRP Therapy is a simple & effective treatment which works for both skin rejuvenation as well as hair regrowth. Patient’s blood in separated into growth factors & plasma which is then injected into the desired areas. The growth factors are known to contribute in healing and growth of new cells and boosting collagen tissue growth – thereby rejuvenating tissues.
2. How is PRP procedure done?
• The dermatologist draws a sample of the blood. The amount of the sample taken depends on the size of the area where PRP is to be injected. The amount taken is usually around 10 ml. • The blood sample is then centrifuged in a centrifuge in order to separate it into its constituents. This step takes around 15 minutes for completion. • The separated plasma is then taken into a syringe and injected into the affected area. • Usually the procedure is done under Topical anesthesia where a numbing cream is applied for 30 min- 1 hour to reduce any pain.For very sensitive patients, a block can be given to numb the front of scalp. For facial indications, usually a numbing cream is sufficient.
3. What are the uses of PRP ?
• Hair loss/Androgenetic alopecia • Post acne scars • Skin rejuvenation • Reduction in fine lines & wrinkles • Youthful skin • Treatment of Non Healing Ulcers
4. How Many Sessions Would Be Required For PRP To Be Effective?
Generally, the number of sessions vary from person to person & based on underlying indication.Usually 5-6 sessions over a period of 6-8 months are required to give desired results.
5. What are the side effects of PRP?
PRP is a safe procedure and side effects are usually minimal. Most of the minor problems appear immediately after the procedure and are short lasting Tingling,burning sensation, pain, redness are common side effects seen post procedure and can be reduced using cold gel packs at the site.
6. What are the after care measures to be taken?
Avoid scrubbing/ rubbing the skin Don’t use any hair products/ cosmetics after the procedure for next 2 days Avoid alcohol/ smoking/ high caffeine intake post procedure Avoid direct high heat like Blow dryer/ hot yoga/hot showers/steam/sauna/direct sun exposure/strenous exercise post procedure for at least 2 days
7. What is the downtime of PRP?
The downtime of PRP is minimal in case of scalp . A downtime of 3-4 days can be expected in case of PRP procedures done for the face.The skin can be a little red or flaky during this time.Adequate sun protection and moisturization of skin should be followed during this time PRP can usually be combined with micro needling for best results for both hair & skin rejuvenation.