1.What are Dark circles ?
Dark circle or Periorbital melanosis is darkening seen under and around the eye area due to several reasons.
2.What are eye bags?
Eye bags are caused due to protruded fat or accumulation of fluid in the area of lower eyelids which causes the area to appear puffy.This puffiness increases with aging
3.What are the causes for dark circles?
• Personal habits like lack of sleep or poor sleeping habits,smoking & frequent rubbing of the eyes • Skin changes like hyperpigmentation, which happens when the body produces more melanin or thinning of the skin under the eyes • Allergies & Atopic conditions including hay fever • Nutritional deficiency like Iron deficiency anemia, Vit B,C,E deficiency • Co morbidities like Thyroid condition & Hormonal changes • Structural defects like Tear trough deformity & reduced fat support under the eyes. • Dehydration • Stress • Overexposure to Sunlight(UV Light) • Aging • Eye Drop Treatment For glaucoma such As Bimatoprost
4.What are the risk factors for dark circles?
Some people are more prone for getting dark circles than others.The risk factors include: • Indian skin or brown skin tone: Dark circles are very common in Indian skin tone since the tendency for melanin production is higher. • Genetics: Family history of dark circles can also contribute towards increased tendency for dark circles.A very common example is pigmentary demarcation line around the eyes.
5. What are the causes for Eye bags or eye puffiness?
As you age, the tissue structures and muscles supporting your eyelids weaken. The skin may start to sag, and fat that is normally confined to the area around the eye (orbit) can move into the area below your eyes. Also, the space below your eyes can accumulate fluid, making the under-eye area appear puffy or swollen.
6. What are the external factors causing puffy eyes?
• Foods causing puffy eyes: Foods high in salt content like Canned foods • Alcohol intake • Caffeine • Dairy in people who suffer with Lactose intolerance • Gluten intake in people who have gluten sensitivity • Carbonated drinks • Dehydration • Also medical problems like Thyroid,Kidney problems should be ruled out.
7. Are eye bags permanent?
The eye bags which are caused due to protrusion of fat are correctable only with surgery. However, puffy eyes caused due to fluid retention are known to vary with each day and few lifestyle changes can reduce the appearance.
8. Why do my eyes appear sunken?
Common cause of sunken eyes is aging ,which happens due to resorption of fat pads around the eyes.The tear trough depression is an important feature of eyelid and mid face aging, best defined as the depression of the medial lower eyelid.
9.What is the role of stress in my dark circles & eye puffiness ?
. When you're stressed more blood is directed to your main organs leaving your face looking pale.This makes dark circles appear more noticeable. Stress can also cause the fragile capillaries(blood vessels) around the eyes to break or leak blood. The blood spreads out under the skin (pools) and becomes oxidized forming a dark purple hue in the eye area
The first step in managing infraorbital dark circles is to identify the specific constellation of aetiologic factors present so that a customised therapy can be crafted.
10. How to improve eye puffiness?
The following tips can help you reduce or eliminate eye puffiness:
• Use a cool compress. Wet a clean washcloth with cool water. While sitting up, apply the damp washcloth to the skin under and around your eyes for a few minutes using mild pressure. • Cut down on fluids before bedtime and reduce salt in your diet. This will reduce the fluid retention that can cause bags under eyes. • Avoid smoking. • Get enough sleep. For most adults, seven to nine hours is a good amount of sleep. • Sleep with your head slightly raised. It may help to add an extra pillow or prop up the head of your mattress. Or elevate the entire head of the bed a few inches. This helps prevent fluid from accumulating around your eyes as you sleep. Dark circles caused by fluid retention in your lower eyelids usually go away when you get up. • Reduce allergy symptoms. Avoid allergens when possible.Consult your doctor for diagnosis and treatment of the allergy. • Avoid rubbing eyes frequently, going to bed with makeup on, and harsh cleansers. Anything that irritates the eyes can cause fluids to pool. • Eating potassium-rich foods, such as bananas, to eliminate excess fluids in your body • Splashing cold water over your face and eyes
11. How to treat Tear trough deformity causing dark circles?
It can be treated with a simple in office procedure called dermal fillers.The fillers are made up of natural compound called Hyaluronic acid which is injected into the area to replace the lost fat .
The results are instant and long lasting.
Another alternative can be Autologous fat pad which can be injected into the area.
12. How to treat eye bags?
Eye bags that appear due to protrusion of fat can be corrected by blepharoplasty .THe surgery is done by a Plastic surgeon or Ophthalmologist. In the surgery, the excess fat is removed through an incision inside the lower lid and the skin is then rejoined with tiny stitches. The procedure is usually done as an outpatient procedure.
13. How to treat dark circles which might be due to any other causes?
Eye cream containing Vitamin K which helps lighten the pigmentation and rehydrates the skin. Eye creams containing depigmenting agents like Kojic acid, Arbutin, azelaic acid to improve the pigmentation. Eye cream containing Hydroquinone can also be helpful. Eye peel with Arginine / Retinol / TCA which helps rejuvenate and exfoliate the skin Injection of PRP (Platelet Rich Plasma) containing growth factors to rejuvenate the skin . These growth factors also help in lymph drainage. https://www.beautifulmindhealthcare.com/services/prp/5 Under Eye Dark circle treatment with microneedling helps attain long lasting effects. It also helps in textural correction & reducing the fine lines in the area https://www.beautifulmindhealthcare.com/services/microneedling-dermap/13 Fractional radio frequency helps take care of skin tightening around the eyes for better skin texture and produces new collagen. It thereby helps dark circle caused by friction and photo-ageing The eye creams and treatment options mentioned above should be recommended & done in a clinic setting under the supervision of a dermatologist. Erratic use of the creams can lead to irritation, dryness and counter productive results.Post procedure care is needed to ensure the best results.